Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What I think about

Some of you may wonder what I think about on the trail. Mostly, I think about home. Tricky, though, because home for me may not be what you think I mean. Sometimes, home is just a dry couch and a warm blanket. Sometimes, home is only heaven, when I will finally get to rest for real. Home always has to do with not hiking anymore, I desire that often.
I think about Karen quite frequently. She has become wrapped up inside me in a way that greatly exceeds the short time that I have known her, and I am cool with that. So needless to say, I think about her. Sometimes I wonder what she is doing at the moment.
I think about Jesus. Unlike Karen, Jesus is not far away while I am hiking, he is just a different sort of close. So this means that my thinking of Jesus is less dreaming of the girl that is special to me and more interacting with the Man that made me. This is something like conversation, and is pretty much ongoing while I hike, even when I am just thinking about where to put my feet on slippery rocks to not fall on my face.
Sometimes I think about what I hate about hiking. That it just keeps going, that I have to carry this stinking heavy pack, that the food isn't always enough or satisfying, the rain and temperatures which sometimes leave something to be desired, etc. This isn't as good for me as thinking about good things though, so when I catch myself focusing on what I hate about what I am doing, I try and focus instead on the fact that I am loved and cared for very deeply. This tends to make for a better day.
My thoughts do other things too, but that is pretty much a summary.

1 comment:

  1. I am truly blessed for having carried you for 9 months inside my womb and for witnessing your growth for the past 22 years. I love you as only a mother can: deeply, completely, and forever.

    Your Mom

    ReplyDelete