Friday, May 6, 2011

Standing Bear Farm

So I want to tell you guys about the hostels I have stayed at. So far hostels have been a real positive experience. It is cool to get the hiking community in a household setting, instead of just at a shelter in the woods. The first hostel I stayed at was Standing Bear Farm just after the Smokies. It had such a rustic feel and felt so integrated into the hiking culture. I had expected a front desk when I walked up, but instead was greeted by guitar playing and a bunch of hikers happy to have their packs off saying hello to the new arrival who still had his on. They told me to find a staff peeson to see about a spot in the bunkhouse. It was hard to spot the staff, because it turns out that the staff guy was the one with dreds and a cut off blue tshirt that said staff on the back. I kept feeling more at home as time went on. The staff dude explained where to find things and that they operate on the honor system, so after taking any food I wanted from the stock shed to itemize my own bill and drop it in the pay box. My favorite parts about Standing Bear were the shower where the wall was made of glass bottles and mortar in the shape of AT, and the 3 walled kitchen building that reminded me of the shelters. And soda and pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment